Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Updated Workout Routine

Lifting Weights. Yep.

Since my last post in regards to physical fitness was the beginning of 2015, I figured it would be time to update on what I am currently doing. Not only will this give me a sense of accountability with my readers, but it will perhaps give an inspiration to change up  your current workout routines!

As said above, I have discovered the AMAZING power and results in lifting weights. No I am not a body builder, no I do not want that physique, and no I do not have that physique. From an abundant amount of research and from my own limited experience, I do not think it is naturally possible for a woman to gain such amount of bulk to resemble a body builder. Naturally. The women you see that typifies "weight lifting women" aka: body builders, are taking a steriod. Don't take steriods and you won't become the incredible hulk-ina.

Now various things, including some laziness on my part, have come between me and my workouts and so I know for a fact that I would have seen even better results than I did in the 6 weeks I stuck to my workout plan. During the 6 weeks I lifted weights for 4 days a week, NO CARDIO, mind you, and I saw better and quicker results when I did my regular HIIT.

I literally saw a thigh gap, my upper thighs shrunk, my arms thinned out, my stomach was slightly flatter, and my butt was lifted! I had to buy new jeans and went from size 6 to a size 3-4. I noticed that I wanted and looked forward to my workout, which NEVER happenend with cardio. I felt like I could say no to the naughty foods more. The best part was the major difference I noticed in my metabolism! I found that even when I did "splurge" and eat something not so good for me, it was like my body never noticed. I really didn't bloat, I never gained, and even when I had a 5 day vacation my body still lost 2# without me! I got down to my goal weight!

Then my son nearly broke my toe. I had to stop for safety reasons. No way was I going to attempt a heavy weight squat without a good solid foundation. Then as I healed my motivation left and I got depressed a little because I wanted to get back at it but didn't. That is something I REALLY noticed when I stopped working out. I would get much moodier much easier. And when I get moody I get snacky. So sadly I regained about 5-6#. Lots of ice cream did that and a slack of eating right.

Eating right is most assuredly going to give you success or failure in being healthy. You could be working out, but eating wrong and losing valuable benefits or stressing your body instead of strengthening it. But that is for another article.

I found a blog called Jersey Girl Talk, that has a pretty solid lifting schedule, and I followed it pretty well for 6 weeks. Since I just recently (as of last Thursday) got back into it I have since used her schedule more as a foundation for what I do. I have also added morning Cardio the 4 days I lift. HIIT only as I just don't have time for 20-30 minutes in this season of life.

Weight Lifting Schedule:

Monday and Thursday: Upper Body Day

Bench Press
Upright Row
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Lateral Raises
Pull Ups

Tuesday and Friday: Leg Day

Squat
Deadlifts
Walking Weighted Lunges

While Leg Day may seem like it is much more laid back, you do it and you will see haha! Each Exercise I do 3 sets of 8-12 reps. As for how much you lift, if you reach the 12th rep easily, up your weight some, if you can't reach your 8th rep then lower the weight some. It might take a week or two to feel like you need to up your weight and most likely you won't up your weight on all your exercises at the same time. Be careful, go slow to build proper form, use youtube to help! Pull Ups are very difficult and I still can barely do 1 so don't freak when it takes you MONTHS! My best advice is to jump and hold yourself in pull up position for as long as you can and slowly SLOWLY come down. I even left my door frame pull up bar in the doorway to practice the whole day. It eventually worked!

Couple notes: When you lift weights you need your HEALTHY carbs. No low carb diet or you will hurt yourself! You will need more food because of how many calories get burned from the after affects of lifting. Make sure that protein is in nearly every meal or you risk undoing all that work!

I will keep updated on how diligent I am to sticking with my morning cardio and evening lift and let you know of results!

No comments:

Post a Comment